File Extension SHS
File extension SHS is used by Microsoft Office to store information about part of the Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel document which user dragged to their desktop. SHS files can store text, graphics or objects and could only be opened by dragging them into Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel applications. SHS file is not a readable file and contains objects stored in OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) technology.
SHS files are only compatible with versions of Windows prior to Windows Vista which includes:
- Windows 95
- Windows NT
- Windows 98
- Windows ME
- Windows 2000
- Windows Server 2003
Following versions of Windows OS does not support opening SHS files:
- Windows Vista
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows Server 2012
How to put part of a document to a desktop and back:
1. Make sure that Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel is not maximized.
2. Select desired part of the document.
3. Drag it to the desktop. A scrap SHS file will be created. You can now drag this scrap file to other applications which support OLE.
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about SHS files, file extension shs and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...